- The Upper Tribunal (UT) upheld the decision of the First-tier Tribunal (FTT) regarding Bollinway Properties Limited’s VAT repayment claim.
- Bollinway sought a 5% repayment supplement from HMRC on a £71 million input tax claim for property purchases.
- Although Bollinway submitted its VAT return on time, HMRC delayed authorization of the repayment.
- The dispute centered on whether HMRC’s request for additional documents justified the delay.
- The UT agreed with the FTT that HMRC’s request was reasonable, and Bollinway’s failure to provide necessary property transfer documents promptly invalidated their claim for repayment supplement.
- This case underscores the challenges of obtaining repayment supplements from HMRC, which were discontinued in 2023.
Source Grant Thornton