- Former notary convicted for forgery and false notarisations in an €80 million VAT fraud case
- Investigation led by the European Public Prosecutor’s Office (EPPO) in Berlin
- Complex network involved luxury cars and medical face masks traded through shell companies in multiple countries
- Defendants used people in economic difficulty as straw men
- Main suspects forged signatures with the help of the notary and a tax advisor
- Notary deliberately notarised transfers based on forged signatures
- Defendant sentenced to two years of imprisonment, suspended on probation
- Confiscation of notary fees ordered
- Judgment for other defendants expected in April
- EPPO is responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes against the financial interests of the EU.
Note that this post was (partially) written with the help of AI. It is always useful to review the original source material, and where needed to obtain (local) advice from a specialist.