- Australia proposed the Business E-invoicing Right (BER) initiative in 2022
- The initiative aims to encourage wider business adoption of Peppol e-invoicing
- Under the proposal, businesses will be legally obliged to adopt and send e-invoices if requested by their customers
- The Australian Treasury plans to legislate this initiative
- The initiative will be introduced in a phased approach over three years
- In the first year, companies can require their large suppliers to provide Peppol e-invoices
- In the second year, companies can require their medium-sized suppliers to provide Peppol e-invoices
- In the third year, companies can require all their suppliers to provide Peppol e-invoices
- The implementation of the first phase of BER has been postponed and no clear timelines are available yet.
Note that this post was (partially) written with the help of AI. It is always useful to review the original source material, and where needed to obtain (local) advice from a specialist.