- Forty-five states and the District of Columbia have statewide sales taxes.
- Local sales taxes are collected in 38 states and can sometimes be higher than state rates.
- The states with the highest average combined state and local sales tax rates are Louisiana, Tennessee, Arkansas, Washington, and Alabama.
- Recent local sales tax increases in Minnesota and Wisconsin have affected states’ average sales tax rates.
- Sales tax rates vary by state and can impact revenue collection and the economy.
- Differences in sales tax rates can influence consumer behavior, such as shopping across borders or buying products online.
Note that this post was (partially) written with the help of AI. It is always useful to review the original source material, and where needed to obtain (local) advice from a specialist.