- The number of fraud reports increased last year, with over 57,000 reports compared to over 51,000 the previous year.
- There was a significant increase in reports of fake SMS messages, including WhatsApp messages, with nearly 16,000 reports compared to over 4,000 the previous year.
- The Fraud Helpdesk received many reports of phishing SMS messages containing fake payment requests from banks, the Tax Authority, and the Central Judicial Collection Agency.
- The most financial damage was caused by investment fraud, with over 20 million euros lost in 2023 compared to nearly 15 million euros the previous year.
- Investment fraud remains the largest contributor to the total financial damage from fraud, with a total damage amount of over 44 million euros in 2023.
Note that this post was (partially) written with the help of AI. It is always useful to review the original source material, and where needed to obtain (local) advice from a specialist.