- Navigating VAT assessments with HMRC can be challenging
- Steps to contest an unjust or incorrect VAT assessment
- Need to provide specific reasons or grounds for appeal
- HMRC must use “best judgement” in issuing assessments
- Unknown factors can affect VAT calculation
- 30-day window to appeal or request a review
- Flawed methodology can be a compelling case for appeal
Note that this post was (partially) written with the help of AI. It is always useful to review the original source material, and where needed to obtain (local) advice from a specialist.