- Japan proposes holding Apple and Google responsible for paying consumption taxes on foreign app sales
- The government aims to ensure that app store operators are accountable for the taxes imposed on content sold by overseas developers
- This initiative targets small companies without a physical presence in Japan
- The proposal aims to address a disparity in Japan’s application of sales taxes
- The financial implications for Apple and Google could be significant
- This proposal could set a precedent for other countries facing similar tax recovery challenges.
Note that this post was (partially) written with the help of AI. It is always useful to review the original source material, and where needed to obtain (local) advice from a specialist.