- Government proposes to impose VAT on previously untaxed items
- VAT to be increased from 15-18%
- VAT to be imposed on fuel, gas, fertilizer, electronic equipment, medical equipment, national software, tea leaves, and latex
- MP Harsha de Silva criticizes the lack of mention of these changes in the President’s budget speech
- MP calls for transparency in how VAT will be imposed and money collected.
Note that this post was (partially) written with the help of AI. It is always useful to review the original source material, and where needed to obtain (local) advice from a specialist.