|Standard Rate||Reduced Rate|
|24%||13% and 6%|
The local name for VAT in Germany is ”Foros prostithemenis aksias” (FPA)
There are basically 3 VAT rates in Greece:
- Standard VAT rate is 24%
- Reduced VAT rate is 6 and 13%
- Reduced VAT Rate of 6% for PPEs of 6% applicable till Dec 31, 2021
- Reduced VAT Rate of 13% for coffee and non-alcoholic beverages, passenger transport, and cinema theatrical performance tickets applicable till September 30, 2021
- Holiday islands discounted VAT rate – 30 percent discount on VAT rates for goods and services applicable till July 1, 2021
For more information about (recent) rate change developments in Greece, please click here.
Standard rate: 24%
This rate applies for all transactions that take place in Greece, unless an exception applies (such as a reduced rate, the zero rate or an exemption, or a reason to treat the transaction as outside scope of VAT).
Zero rate (0%)
No goods and services are subject to specific 0% VAT rate besides the typical ”Exemptions”.
Reduced rate: 6%
- medicines and vaccines for human consumption
- books and music books
- newspapers and magazines
- entrance charges to theatres
- electricity and natural gas
Reduced rate: 13%
- fresh food (meat and fish)
- pharmaceutical and health products (excluding goods subject to the super reduced rate of 6%)
- medical equipment and ancillary goods
- auxiliary and other relevant instruments used by invalid persons
- products related to agricultural production
- accommodation in hotels or similar establishments
- food services supplied by restaurants, grills, taverns, coffee shops, cafeterias, patisseries and other related businesses (other than entertainment centers)
- live animals
- fertilizers and specific pesticides
- services related to agricultural production
- sugars and sugar confectionery
- oil types
- cocoa and cocoa preparations
- miscellaneous edible preparations based on cereal, flour, starch or milk
- preparations of vegetables, fruit, nuts, and fruit and vegetable juices
For a description of how the VAT rates are structured in the European Union, please see here. The European Commission has also made an EU VAT rate database available where you can find the applicable VAT rate by entering the CN/CPA code of the goods respectively services (you can find more information here).
A global VAT/GST rate overview can be found here (note this is a work in progress).
This post was last updated on 8 April 2021.